RAISING GODLY CHILDREN.
A CHARGE TO PARENTS AND THE CHURCH.
My name is Boadicea Treasure Ofosu Acheampong and I am here to speak on the topic:
“RAISING GODLY CHILDREN; A CHARGE TO PARENTS AND THE CHURCH”.
I would like to thank the Almighty God and the leadership of the Children’s Ministry for this privilege given me and opportunity to minister his word on this memorable occasion.
My Scripture reading is from the Book of DEUTTRONOMY 11:19 and The Book of JOEL 1:3.
According to the word of God in Psalm 127:3, children are a heritage of the LORD, and fruit of the womb is a reward. Parents are stewards of these great heritages from the Lord.
God chose Abraham, the father of our faith in Genesis 18:19 “For I have known him as My own, so that he may teach and command his children and the sons of his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is righteous and just, so that the LORD may bring upon Abraham what He has promised him.” Therefore, we as children are entrusted in the hands of our parents so that they can groom us in the love and fear of the Lord unto His glory. Amen.
It has always been the Perfect will and power of God to give children to specific parents, for a specific purpose and it is a divine plan of God to fulfill a specific assignment of God on earth. Our God will never make a mistake for making you a father and mother of a child today. This is also a blessing from God. Therefore, if by the grace of God, you have been given the privilege to be called a parent, (Mother and Father) biologically or by adoption, then God has a beautiful assignment for you as parents.
2. Who is a Parent?
My definition of Parent is …..
First, one that begets or brings forth offspring, a father or a mother as we find written in Scriptures.
Secondly a person who brings up and cares for another like foster parent. Therefore …..
3. What Does It Mean To Be A Parent?
The role of “parent” has a broad definition. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, a parent is a person who brings up and cares for another. However, being a parent does not necessarily mean that you biologically passed your genetics to a child. A parent can take on different forms, such as stepparent, grandparent, legal guardian, or a combination.
Regardless of the form, the following remains constant: A parent’s job is to raise children in God’s ways by God’s wisdom to be the best men and women that they can be tomorrow. It’s a huge responsibility, one that requires patience, love, and understanding. Let me share seven thought of mine of who parent are. For many people, being a parent means: —
- You take care of your child: Spiritually, Intellectually, Morally, Physically and emotionally, you are your child’s caretaker. You often put your child’s needs before your own.
- You are a provider: Your see to it that there’s food on the table for your child every day. In the same manner you make sure your kids are fed with spiritual food which is the Word of God every blessed day.
- You are a protector: You try your best to keep your child safe. As Father and Mother you pray for each one of them without ceasing.
- You love your Child: The love that a parent has for his or her child is incomparable. In addition, your child may become your world, meaning “you’re everything to them.”
- You are a counselor and a confidant: Because you have your child’s best interests at heart, you are in a good position to give sound biblical advice. You encourage your child to Love God, know God intimately and help them bring out the best in them.
- You are a teacher: Whether teaching a child how to walk, or the difference between right and wrong, or how to conduct oneself in social settings, and everything in between, a parent’s job as teacher is never done. Do your best as their first teacher in their own world.
- You are a role model: Children imitate their parent’s behavior. Your child’s little eyes always watching on you therefore do your best to lead by example.
4. Who is a Godly Child?
A Godly child is a child who has humbly received Jesus Christ as his or her Lord and personal savior. A godly child is one who loves God, reverences him dearly and obeys his command. A godly child is the one who live in total obedient and submissive to his or her parents. (John 1:12)
5. What is Parental Responsibility?
HOW DO WE RAISE GODLY CHILDREN? (Let me give seven points for consideration).
- INTRODUCE CHILDREN TO GOD AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE: First of all, parents must introduce their kids to God even before they are born into the world. We know that in the womb, kids respond to whatever they hear and therefore let us read the word of God to them, play Godly music to them and pray into their lives before and after they are born. Let your kids know who God is; as the creator of the universe and everything in it.
- PARENTS MUST BE EXAMPLES AND HIGHLY IMPACTFUL: We need to be epitomes of love and affection to our kids and these must be demonstrated on daily basis. Live and walk the talk as parents, as one cannot give what they don’t have and kids pick up such virtues from their parents. Let us beware of what we do before our children because they mimic what they hear and see.
- DELIBERATE AND CONSISTENT BIBLE STUDY ATTITUDE: Parents must make time to study and discuss God’s word at home with their kids; give kids their own Bibles, develop and maintain family bible lessons regularly and have daily devotion and bible study time passionately and let it be attractive for their kids at home every day.
- CHILDREN MUST BE MADE PART OF THE CHURCH SERVICE: Parents must not leave their children at home when coming to church service. Parent must maintain high Christian disciplines and discipleship at home. They must also mentor and monitor the progress of their children with their Sunday school teachers just as in the normal school.
- DISCIPLINE CHILDREN THROUGH PUNITIVE AND NON-PUNITIVE DISCIPLINE: Children must be made to know that discipline is not hatred. God himself disciplines those he loves and our parents can also do so in love. The Bible tell parents how to discipline their children in book of Hebrews 12:5-11 and Proverbs 23:13-14
NOTE: a. Parents should not discipline their children in anger but in love.
b. Discipline should be equal to sin and parents must be unified in disciplining children.
c. There must be Consistency in discipline at home: Proper discipline must conform to what the bible teaches.
d. Godly Discipline create intimacy relationship instead of distance and hatred.
6. PARENTS MUST AVOID PROVOKING CHILDREN TO ANGER: Colossians 3:21 says that, Fathers do not embitter your children or they will become discouraged or lose heart. Do not compare your kids or discriminate against any. Don’t show favoritism like Jacob to Joseph, Isaac to Esau and Rebecca to Jacob.
7. LASTLY KNOW YOUR CHILD BETTER AND INTIMATELY. Pray and ask God to show you his plan for each child he gives to you and lead them in the way of the Lord for His glory.
6. Advantages and Disadvantages
Now let me share some few thought of mine about the advantages and disadvantages of rising godly children and the consequences no one can escape when parent fails and refuses to train and discipline their own children in the Bible way.
Advantages of Raising Godly Children
- Kids who love God and Worship Him
- Obedient and Confident Children with a good future
- They love to prayer and Study God’s Word, the Bible
- Well behaved and well discipline wherever they maybe.
- Submissive to Authority and Honesty in speech and in character.
- They walk in favor with God and with all people.
- Live in peace with family, neighbors and friend
- They are God’s agent of change at home, at Church, in the community and in the society.
Disadvantages or Consequences of not raising the child in a Godly way
- Becomes Disobedient children and disrespectful to everyone
- Trouble makers at home, school and society
- Becomes tools for Satan use
- Rebellious to authorities
- Becomes burden to their own parents and family
- They bring shame and disgrace to their parent and household
- They have no good name, no good report and no good memory among people.
7. The Church Role and Responsibility
As a Church of the Lord, just as every soul and every child is a special gift of the Lord to the Church and the home. The church must be a laboratory of learning and exhibiting real love of God. The church has a mandate, among other things, to ensure the total development of their members including the children. The church, as an agent of God in the life of a child’s development should play a vibrant role, together with the home and society to rise up the next generation of Christian leaders with Christian values and faith to serve God and advance the Kingdom of Christ in their time and age. It is God’s perfect will and plan for every local church to be involve in discipleship of children who will be the next generation of leaders both in the Church and in the society to pass on the baton.
Therefore, an effective faith-based children’s ministry program requires deeper understanding and recognition of children’s holistic growth and role, which include but not limited to the spiritual, Moral, Intellectual and physical development in addition to other needs and abilities necessary for children well being and development at home, in the church and in the society.
To conclude my message today to all parents, the necessity for closer monitoring must be done before and during preschool age even to their highest education levels as they walk through pages of life on earth. Their future living both in carriers, marriage and in destiny should not be overlooked but needed prayerfully consideration and God direction. No child should be found left alone standing at crossroad facing challengers in their development age but the need to assist each and every child to discover and be affirmed in their calling and ministry to the glory of God.
Thank you very much, and God richly bless us all.
Sermon delivered by Miss Boadicea T O Acheampong at PIWC (Church of Pentecost) Asokwa, Kumasi – Ghana.